Call the Midwife!
just how far has midwifery advanced?
four midwives from surrey discuss how they are still ‘over worked
and underpaid.’
The
first series of Call the Midwife earlier
this year was a huge success, starring the popular comedienne Miranda Hart. The
series is based on the 2002-bestselling memoirs of Jennifer Worth, set in East
London in the 1950’s. The series reveals the past of midwifery and the horrific
conditions some midwives had to work in in the days of homebirths. The series
also stresses the dreadful situations some women found themselves in, before
high awareness and wide availability of contraception. The director Philippa
Lowthorpe commented on the series, “In birth the midwife is forgotten,” she wanted
to work with the program because “in reality, midwifes are the unsung heroes.”
To find out more about midwifery in the
twenty first century I spoke to four midwives at Frimley Park Hospital in
Surrey. The women were of varied ages and experience and all had different
concerns about the conditions they work in now, and the advancement of
midwifery.
I questioned the women as to what they think
is the biggest change in childbirth since Jennifer Worth’s days of midwifery.
They agreed that the awareness of contraception and accessibility of abortion
has been the main change since the 1950’s and the most significant advance. One
midwife explained that as deliveries are now primarily is hospital they are
better dealt with and women are now more informed. Another midwife stated: “I
find most girls are aware of birth control choice now.”
With the advance of technology in hospitals
and drugs used during childbirth one midwife is concerned that this is having a
damaging effect on the way we see childbirth. “I believe the NHS has advanced
in technological terms, saving lives, however reducing the amount of ‘trust’
women have in themselves and their bodies to give birth to their infants
naturally without relying on technology/drugs.” Perhaps Call the Midwife is so popular because it celebrates women having
successful births and healthy babies in the most trying of circumstances. The
midwives in the series are likeable because they show resourcefulness and
initiative, in current day practice this is not as necessary. One of the midwives
who has been practicing thirty two years clarified this, ‘we are grounded by
guidelines and protocols, midwives however, like the TV program, are usually
superb people who will go the extra mile for women in their care.’
As technology advances perhaps midwives are
less reliant on their initiative, there is room for speculation on how well
trained they are to cope with a crisis outside a hospital. Likewise there is an
argument that nurses and midwives training is now too academic based. Both are university degrees, whereas they
used to learn on the job with part-time college education. One midwife observed “midwifery and nursing
has changed a lot, it is now an academic course. I feel this is sad and
excludes a lot of people from midwifery/nursing who are not so academic but
would make a good midwife/nurse.” With university entry requirements and fees,
this isolates some people who would make good midwives.
The terrible conditions the women in the
days of Call the Midwife had to put
up during homebirths resulted in poor hygiene and infection levels. I asked the
midwives how they find the conditions now. One of them replied, “Hygiene is not
as much of an issue as when I started my nursing or when I worked in London. It
varies with each area.” The most experienced midwife said that “the biggest
cause of maternal morbidity is sepsis, so cleanliness should be high in
agenda.” 5.2 million cases of maternal sepsis occur each year with 62,000 dying.
In Africa sepsis is the leading cause of maternal death. All the women agreed
that the hygiene in their hospital was to a high level.
The staff
midwives at the hospital all told me that they were unhappy with their working hours;
some shifts are up to fifteen hours with a lack of breaks. When I asked one
midwife whether she was happy with her hours she responded, “No, I would prefer
12.5 hour shifts, I’m currently working 15 hours.” Another midwife explained
that there is a “rapid turn around from day/night shifts.” They described that
the maternity unit is very busy and often they are overwhelmed with the
responsibility placed on them. So maybe midwifery hasn’t advanced as much as we
thought.
I questioned the women as to whether they
stereotypically felt, ‘overworked and underpaid.’ One midwife stated, “constantly,
but I would still never work anywhere else or in any other job.” It seems that
these women are dedicated to their jobs and therefore more likely to put with
bad working conditions. One midwife explained: “for the amount of money we are
paid as a midwife the responsibility is often too great.” Midwives are key
workers in the community that we simply couldn’t do without, alike doctors, if
they feel underpaid why isn’t this issue being addressed? Perhaps because
midwives are too busy delivering babies to be pulling strikes.
No comments:
Post a Comment